Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center
The Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center houses the Ella Fitzgerald Theater, a 276-seat venue that honors the "First Lady of Song," who was born in Newport News in 1917. Originally built as the Walter Reed School, this historic building has been restored, and it reopened to the public in October 2008.
Hours of Operation
Open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mon-Fri; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sat; closed Sun.
- Associations / Options
- African American Heritage
- Handicapped Accessible
- Meeting Facilities
- Meeting Room Count: 5
- Meeting Facility Sq. Feet: 3,040
- Banquet Round Style Seating: 144-180
- Classroom Style Seating: 60
- Standing Theater Style: 250
- Summer Movie Series: The Lego Movie 2: Jul 23; 2 - 3:30 p.m.
- Summer Movie Series: How to Train Your Dragon - The Hidden World: Jul 30; 2 - 3:30 p.m.
- SKILLS Talent Show 2019: Aug 2; 8 - 9:30 p.m.
- Out of the Classroom: Our Neighborhood Exhibit: Aug 3-31
- Out of the Classroom: Our Neighborhood - Gallery Reception: Aug 3; 6 - 8 p.m.
- Summer Movie Series: Teen Titans Go! to the Movies: Aug 6; 2 - 3:30 p.m.
- Summer Movie Series: Sherlock Gnomes: Aug 13; 2 - 3:30 p.m.
- 25 Mics - Open Mic: Aug 13; 7 - 9 p.m.
- Celebrating Virginia Filmmakers 2019: Sep 20
- Iconic Film: Sep 21