Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center
The Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center houses the Ella Fitzgerald Theater, a 276-seat venue that honors the "First Lady of Song," who was born in Newport News in 1917. Originally built as the Walter Reed School, this historic building has been restored, and it reopened to the public in October 2008.
Hours of Operation
Open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mon-Fri; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sat; closed Sun.
- Associations / Options
- African American Heritage
- Handicapped Accessible
- Meeting Facilities
- Meeting Room Count: 5
- Meeting Facility Sq. Feet: 3,040
- Banquet Round Style Seating: 144-180
- Classroom Style Seating: 60
- Standing Theater Style: 250
- Hispanic Heritage Month Exhibit: Oct 1-15
- Anniversary Concert featuring Butterscotch: Oct 8; 8 p.m.
- 31st Anniversary Fundraiser: Oct 28; 6 - 9 p.m.
- Holiday Frost: Dec 9; 4 - 7 p.m.
- Holidays Around the World: Dec 10; 11 a.m.
- Holidays Around the World: Dec 10; 2 p.m.
- The Newport News Holiday Extravaganza: Dec 16; 7 p.m.
- The Newport News Holiday Extravaganza: Dec 17; 1 p.m.
- The Newport News Holiday Extravaganza: Dec 17; 7 p.m.