Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center
The Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center houses the Ella Fitzgerald Theater, a 276-seat venue that honors the "First Lady of Song," who was born in Newport News in 1917. Originally built as the Walter Reed School, this historic building has been restored, and it reopened to the public in October 2008.
Hours of Operation
Open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mon-Fri; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sat; closed Sun.
- Associations / Options
- African American Heritage
- Handicapped Accessible
- Meeting Facilities
- Meeting Room Count: 5
- Meeting Facility Sq. Feet: 3,040
- Banquet Round Style Seating: 144-180
- Classroom Style Seating: 60
- Standing Theater Style: 250
- Spring Break Camp: Puppet-making: Apr 1-5
- 25 Mics - Open Mic: Apr 9; 7 p.m.
- Evolution of an Initial Impact: Gallery Reception: Apr 13; 6 p.m.
- 21st Annual Ella Fitzgerald Music Festival: Ladies of Song Vocal Competition: Apr 26; 8 p.m.
- 21st Annual Ella Fitzgerald Music Festival: Regina Belle Live: Apr 27; 8 p.m.
- Decade of Dance: The Groovin' 70s: Jun 21; 8 p.m.