Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center
The Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center houses the Ella Fitzgerald Theater, a 276-seat venue that honors the "First Lady of Song," who was born in Newport News in 1917. Originally built as the Walter Reed School, this historic building has been restored, and it reopened to the public in October 2008.
Hours of Operation
Open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mon-Fri; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sat; closed Sun.
- Associations / Options
- African American Heritage
- Handicapped Accessible
- Meeting Facilities
- Meeting Room Count: 5
- Meeting Facility Sq. Feet: 3,040
- Banquet Round Style Seating: 144-180
- Classroom Style Seating: 60
- Standing Theater Style: 250
- Little Shop of Horrors: Feb 6-22
- Ladies in Red Concert and Award Show: Mar 7; 7 p.m.
- Don't Count Me Out: Mar 16 - Apr 6
- The Art of C.I.P.H.E.R.: Apr 11; 2 - 5 p.m.
- Brittany Burrell LIVE!: Apr 17
- Neil Simon's The Odd Couple: Apr 20; 7:30 - 9:30 p.m.