Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center
The Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center houses the Ella Fitzgerald Theater, a 276-seat venue that honors the "First Lady of Song," who was born in Newport News in 1917. Originally built as the Walter Reed School, this historic building has been restored, and it reopened to the public in October 2008.
Hours of Operation
Open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mon-Fri; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sat; closed Sun.
- Associations / Options
- African American Heritage
- Handicapped Accessible
- Meeting Facilities
- Meeting Room Count: 5
- Meeting Facility Sq. Feet: 3,040
- Banquet Round Style Seating: 144-180
- Classroom Style Seating: 60
- Standing Theater Style: 250
- Limitless Spectrum Exhibit: Jan 11-31
- Newport News Public Schools Annual Student Art Exhibition: Feb 1-28
- Dreamgirls Live: Feb 8; 7 p.m.
- Dreamgirls Live: Feb 9; 1 p.m.
- Dreamgirls Live: Feb 9; 7 p.m.
- Dreamgirls Live: Feb 15; 7 p.m.
- Dreamgirls Live: Feb 16; 1 p.m.
- Dreamgirls Live: Feb 16; 7 p.m.
- Dreamgirls Live: Feb 22; 7 p.m.
- Dreamgirls Live: Feb 23; 1 p.m.