Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center
The Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center houses the Ella Fitzgerald Theater, a 276-seat venue that honors the "First Lady of Song," who was born in Newport News in 1917. Originally built as the Walter Reed School, this historic building has been restored, and it reopened to the public in October 2008.
Hours of Operation
Open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mon-Fri; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sat; closed Sun.
- Associations / Options
- African American Heritage
- Handicapped Accessible
- Meeting Facilities
- Meeting Room Count: 5
- Meeting Facility Sq. Feet: 3,040
- Banquet Round Style Seating: 144-180
- Classroom Style Seating: 60
- Standing Theater Style: 250
- The Art of C.I.P.H.E.R.: Apr 11; 2 - 5 p.m.
- Neil Simon's The Odd Couple: Apr 20; 7:30 - 9:30 p.m.
- Grease: May 7-16
- Brittany Burrell LIVE!: Sep 25
- 22nd Annual Ella Fitzgerald Music Festival: The Ladies of Song Vocal Competition: Oct 8
- 22nd Annual Ella Fitzgerald Music Festival: An Evening With Avery Sunshine: Oct 10