Meet the Staff
Cheryl Morales | Marketing Manager | 757-926-1428 | email@example.com
Cheryl develops and implements marketing strategies to broaden community awareness and promote the City of Newport News as a destination to a variety of groups, including government, association, religious and corporate markets for meetings and conventions, motorcoach and tour and travel for adult and student travel, and sports as a destination for adult and student tournaments. She also assists people who are planning military, family and class reunions, and weddings.
She handles group inquiries and coordinates their needs; develops schedules, organizes and conducts site visits and familiarization tours, suggests itineraries; prepares proposals; develops, designs and updates published materials for groups, and also coordinates video production for general marketing purposes. Cheryl handles various promotions and housing for regional events. She represents and acts as a spokesperson for the Tourism Division at local, regional, and national trade shows, sales missions and conventions, and provides appropriate follow-up and distribution of leads to Newport News industry representatives. She also handles some of Newport News Tourism’s local awareness campaigns through public speaking engagements, and by developing programming and scripts for the Newport News Channel (NNTV).
Contact Cheryl regarding:
• Group Marketing for Meetings and Conventions, Tour and Travel, Sports, and Reunions/Weddings
• Group Inquiries/Leads from all markets
• Planning Support including conference services, coordinating Hospitality Tables/Welcome Bags, Welcome Letters from the Mayor, and the Reunion Planning Seminar
• Attendance at Industry Related Trade Shows and Conventions
• Participation in Sales Missions, Site Visits, and Familiarization Tours
• Group Publications and Video Productions
• The “What’s New in Newport News” Tourism Show on NNTV
• Public Speaking Opportunities
Rebecca Cutchins | Media Relations Manager | 757-926-1429 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Rebecca is responsible for developing and coordinating public relations, marketing, and promotional activities in support of the City’s tourism programs. She develops and writes media releases about Newport News’ tourism product and NNT for consumer and industry publications. Rebecca works with local, state, regional and national media, reporters and travel writers. She develops, organizes and conducts media familiarization tours and works with the Virginia Tourism Corporation to host travel writers. Rebecca develops and produces NNT's annual Visitor Guide, twice-yearly calendars of events, industry newsletters and a variety of brochures. She also attends regional and national media marketplaces and distributes media leads to the Newport News hospitality industry, when available.
Contact Rebecca regarding:
- Calendars of Events
- Film Shoots and Locations
- Media Releases
- Media Requests
- Media Tours
- Photo and Image Requests
- Tourism Currents Newsletter
- Travel Writers
- Visitor Guide Content and Advertising
- 100 Miles of Lights
Lisa Kaloustian | Administrative Coordinator | 757-926-1466 | email@example.com
Lisa provides clerical and administrative support to the Director of Tourism and to other Tourism staff members. She assists the director in the preparation and monitoring of the annual budget, verifies and submits all invoices and travel reimbursement vouchers for payment, reconciles monthly financial statements, coordinates and updates payroll for all Tourism staff. She completes and distributes the End of Month report to the industry and updates and distributes the weekly calendars of events to the industry and consumers.
Contact Lisa Regarding:
- Accounts Receivable
- End of Month Distribution
- Monthly Meeting Reminders
- Newport News Hospitality Association-based Questions
SPAs and Purchase Requisitions
- Statistical Reports
- Training Seminars
- ACT Database questions
- PCARDS and Purchase Requisitions
- E-mail Account Setup
- Monthly Meeting Minutes
- Calendars of Events
- Publication Distribution
Trevor Grimm | Web & Social Marketing Coordinator | 757-926-1440 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Bree Bever | Part-Time Web & Social Marketing Coordinator | email@example.com
Trevor and Bree are responsible for web page creation, updating and maintaining the various tourism-related websites. They are also responsible for the development and implementation of new, innovative web communication and web marketing initiatives. Working with the Consumer Marketing Manager, they create and deploy email promotions throughout the year. Trevor and Bree track, compile and disseminate web usage statistics monthly. Additionally, they oversee and implement all social media marketing initiatives.
Contact Trevor or Bree regarding:
- Email/Flyer Development that can be handled inside and not by the agency
- Broadcast promotional e-mails
- Group promotional materials/mailings
- Group tour and travel questions in absence of Group Tour and Travel manager
- Photo and image requests
- Social Networking Alliances and Opportunities
- Social Marketing (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, etc.)
- All website questions, additions, updates, statistics and complaints
Newport News Visitor Center
Janie Tross | Consumer Marketing Manager | 757-886-7777 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Janie oversees the entire Newport News Visitor Center operation. Janie is responsible for consumer marketing, which includes developing and/or implementing consumer-related programs, promotions, brochures and E-blast promotions. She markets the services of the Visitor Center to our local community and is responsible for industry awareness, customer service training and the Newport News Hospitality Ambassador Program. Janie captures statistical and demographic information from visitors and people who inquire about Newport News through our Web site and she records advertising and media statistics. Janie and her staff represent the city at various off-site functions such as fairs, festivals and welcome center demonstrations.
Contact Janie regarding:
- Consumer Marketing Promotions and Planning
- Industry Training
- Virginia Green Program
- Newport News Hospitality Ambassador Program
- Travel Counselor Hiring
- Demographic/ Statistical Information Concerning Visitors/Inquiries
- Distributing Information at the Visitor Center
- Requests for Bulk Brochures
- National Tourism Week
Dia Foden | Staff Technician | 757-886-7777 | email@example.com
Dia is responsible for ensuring area attractions, accommodations and restaurants are kept up-to-date on what is happening in Newport News so they can share this information with their guests. She distributes Newport News brochures and other promotional materials that help increase in participation in such things as our social media contests, coupon flyers, customer service training, Newport News Restaurant Weeks, familiarization tours, etc. She also encourages clients to join our weekly e-mail list, as well as the Newport News Hospitality Association. Lastly, she works with MWR managers at local military installations and relocation departments to make transfers to the area simpler and more appealing. Her visits are on a 4-6 week rotating schedule.
Contact Dia regarding:
- Brochure placement and replenishment
- Information and promotional materials
- Information on relocation and collateral support
- On-site Intercept Surveys
Distribution Assistant | 757-886-7777 | firstname.lastname@example.org
The Distribution Assistant oversees the complete mail operation for Newport News Tourism and the Visitor Center, including daily inquiries, AAA requests, group mailings, media mailings, material preparation, and special projects. They continuously researches and implements the most efficient mailing methods, while ensuring the addresses are accurate and up to date. They fulfill bulk shipment requests for Newport News Tourism publications and city-owned museums. They also oversees brochure maintenance, not only for the Newport News publications, but all the brochures throughout the state displayed at the Newport News Visitor Center. The Distribution Assistant prepares monthly brochure reports for all the Newport News Visitor Center’s bulk mailings and continuously tracks the postage funds used for mailings.
- Individual and bulk mail operation through both USPS and UPS
- Distribution of all new publications as they are published
- Visitor Center local, regional and state brochures
- Updating presentations on TVs for NTTW Week, etc.
Newport News Visitor Center Travel Counselors
How we can help
- Give any one of our staff a call for specific details on how we may assist you and your business.
- We can help your business by providing opportunities for tourism professionals in Newport News.
- We strongly encourage your active participation with the Newport News Hospitality Association.
- We also encourage that you create or update regularly your business listing on the State Tourism Website.