As we prepare for the Hilton Centennial Grand Celebration, we wanted to share a few facts that you may not have known about this special place.
(Pictured: The Peninsula Community Theatre. Photography by Jerry Gammon)
1. Established in 1930, Hilton Tavern was the first place shipyard workers could get a beer.
2. Located at the Presbyterian Church, there's a "book nook" with benches and a wide assortment of books for people sit and read.
3. Visitors can take an Architectural Tour of Historic Hilton Village in the Spring and Fall. There will be an additional tour
4. There are 8 restaurants and 22 shops in Hilton Village.
5. The Newport News Police Department has a Community Education and Outreach Center in Hilton Village. The Center contains a museum dedicated to the history of the department from its start in 1896 and a tribute to fallen officers.
6. Tradition Brewery released a Hilton Village Centennial tribute beer, "The Villager."
7. The streets in Hilton Village were named after
8. Circa 1918 Kitchen + Bar was named after the founding of Hilton Village in 1918.
9. Act II Consignment has been open in Hilton Village for more than 40 years.
10. Hilton Elementary School was built in 1919.
11. The Peninsula Community Theatre was founded in the 1960's and moved into the Village Theater in 1994.
12. Hilton Village is home to 5 churches, 3 of which have preschools or schools.
13. Silverman Furs has been in business for 80 years and in Hilton Village for over 40 years.
14. The West Village Barkery creates all natural and organic dog treats.
15. A Taste of Hilton Village runs from June 29 to July 6. Circa 1918, Indulge Bakery and Bistro, Hilton Tavern, Smoke BBQ Restaurant and Bar, Couture Cakes by Nika, and Kismet Bistro will be participating.
16. Last, but not least, there will be a beer garden, a war reenactment, a cooking contest, and more at the Historic Hilton Village Centennial Grand Celebration. Come and join us July 7th for the grand celebration, and check out all of the other events taking place this year to celebrate our Historic Hilton Village! Watch the video below to get a preview of our beautiful village for yourself!