Need some ideas for a meal that will leave you and your wallet satisfied? In this edition of "Eat Like a Local," we’re featuring seven places to get a delicious lunch in Newport News for $7 or under! Bon appétit!
1. Subway Station has been a locals’ favorite since 1977. Located at 12288 Warwick Blvd., Subway Station is especially well known for the addictive “Secret Sauce” they use on their toasted subs. Their “Sub of the Month” is only $3.50 for a half, plus they offer Combo Deals that come with chips and a fountain drink for less than $7. Buy their “Whole Sub of the Day” and get a 20-ounce drink for free! Deals galore!
2. Cove Tavern at 711 Lakefront Commons (next to the fountain in City Center) is a lunchtime treat not to be missed. Each day, they offer a different meal for $6 on their Facebook page. Specials include a tasty grilled cheese sandwich topped with tomato, bacon, mozzarella, and cheddar cheese, served with fries or coleslaw; meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy; a cup of their signature she-crab soup with Caesar salad; plus more! Believe us when we say you won’t be disappointed!
3. Asian Grill at 12442 Warwick Blvd. is a great place for Japanese, Thai, and Chinese cuisine. Most of their “combination plates” are served with pork fried rice and an egg roll for only $6.25. They also offer a nice selection of vegetarian options. Sushi can be ordered by the piece and they offer a good selection of rolls, all for less than $5.
4. Check out Gus’s Hot Dog King, a Newport News landmark since 1972. Located at 10725 Jefferson Ave., you can get a regular hot dog for less than $2 – add cheese to it and it’s only $2.15. A foot-long hot dog will set you back $3.80, while a large barbecue sandwich costs just $3.90. They also serve chicken sandwiches, corn dogs, and Bratwurst – all for less than $4.
5. Azzuri, an Italian restaurant in Hidenwood Shopping Center, is a great local place to go for some seriously good Italian food. They have a number of great lunch specials. For example you can get two slices of 1 topping pizza for $5.20 or a chicken salad sandwich (or wrap) for $5.20. These guys are the “real deal” and you won’t be disappointed or hungry when you leave!
6. Lunch at the sleek and modern Saisaki Asian Bistro at101 Regal Way is an inexpensive treat! Their lunches, served with rice and your choice of soup or salad, include Chicken with Asian Mango Sauce ($5.75), Vegetable Thai Basic Chow Fun ($4.95), Pork with String Bean or Eggplant ($5.95) and Hunan Garlic Chicken or Pork ($5.95). There's something for everyone, including vegetarians!
7. Indulge is a European-style bakery and bistro in Historic Hilton Village that specializes in fresh seasonal daily specials, plus all of its baked goods are made from scratch. Their caprese sandwich ($7) is to die for! It’s made with fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and basil with roasted aioli and balsamic glaze. Their brunch menu, which is served all day, includes Quiche Lorraine, a classic quiche filled with ham, Swiss cheese, spring onions in savory custard served with fruit salad, also $7.
Is your mouth watering yet? If so, click on Sip & Savor to find additional dining suggestions throughout Newport News!