"Zoom In on Newport News" Photo Contest Rules & Guidelines
- Contest is free to enter.
- Entrant must be at least 12 years of age and a U.S. resident.
- Newport News Parks, Recreation & Tourism employees, Newport News Tourism employees and contest judges are not eligible to enter.
- Photos previously submitted to any prior Zoom In on Newport News Photo Contests are not eligible for this year's contest.
Format and Submission
- Photographs must have been taken in Newport News, Virginia.
- Contest runs from June 1, 2022, through October 31, 2022. The theme of the contest is "H2O in NN"
- You may submit up to five (5) photographs. A digital or paper entry form is required for each photograph.
- Photographs can be digital or film, but must be submitted as a digital image. Entries can be uploaded via the Photo Contest Entry Form, or submitted on a CD/DVD to: Newport News Tourism, 702 Town Center Drive, Newport News, VA 23606.
- All photographs, digital or film, must be a minimum of 5"x7". All digital photographs must be at least 300dpi and either TIFF or JPEG files. Minor digital enhancement is acceptable. Borders, frames, special filters, text and signatures are not allowed.
- All photographs must be accompanied by a completed entry form, either electronic or paper. If the photograph includes a recognizable person or persons, the model release section of the entry form must also be completed. Photographs cannot be returned.
- The Newport News Tourism Office is not responsible for lost or damaged CD/DVDs.
- The Newport News Tourism Office reserves the right to remove any pictures from the contest that are deemed unsuitable.
- By signing the official entry form and/or submitting an image electronically, you are stating that you are the owner and copyright holder of the photograph submitted. You also represent and warrant that the photograph is your original work. If your photograph contains identifiable people, you are stating that you have permission from all of the models and have a completed model release form in your possession.
- Although photographers retain the copyright to their photographs, by entering them into this contest, they permit unrestricted usage by the City of Newport News and the Newport News Tourism Office exclusively to promote the city, without receiving any fee or compensation. This applies to winning and non-winning entries. All entries, once uploaded electronically or submitted via CD/DVD, become the property of the Newport News Tourism Office.
Photo Restrictions/Model Contact Information
- When shooting photographs for the contest, please check with your location to see if they allow indoor photography.
- All photographs must be accompanied by a completed entry form, either electronic or paper. If the photograph includes a recognizable person or persons, the model release section of the entry form must also be completed.
- Only entries which have met the Format and Submission criteria outlined above will be eligible for judging.
- A panel of judges will select the winners. Winning photographs will be based on overall composition and technical skill.
- A $500 cash grand prize will be awarded to the grand prize winner. An honorable mention prize will also be awarded. The honorable mention prize will include free admission to all Newport News attractions for up to four people. Entrants may only win one prize. The Newport News Tourism Office reserves the right to not award any prize.
- Winners' names may appear in news articles and on the Newport News Tourism Office website.
- By signing the entry form and/or submitting a photograph electronically, participants accept and agree to be bound by these rules and the decisions of contest judges, whose decisions are final. By submitting a photograph, participants agree to release sponsors, contest promoter and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, parent companies, affiliates and subsidiaries from liability of any kind or nature for any loss, claims, damages, or injuries of any kind associated with acceptance, possession, participation in, or use of any prizes.
- Because of the number of anticipated entries, we are unable to respond to questions concerning receipt of an entry.
For questions, call 757.886.7777 or 888.493.7386.