Photo Contest FAQs
- Is there an entry fee to submit photographs?
- Do I have to live in Newport News to enter?
- Can I submit photographs from neighboring cities?
- What are the contest dates?
- How can photographs be submitted?
- Are there size or format requirements?
- How many photographs can I enter?
- Can I use photo-editing tools to enhance my photographs?
- Who will own the copyright of photographs submitted and how will they be used?
- Can I submit photographs that contain my family and friends?
- Will my photographs be returned to me?
- How will the winners be decided?
- What can I win?
- When will the winners be announced?
- I want to enter, but I am unsure of what kinds of pictures to take.
No. Entry is free.
No, the contest is open to all U.S. residents ages 12 years and older. Contest judges and employees of Newport News Tourism and Newport News Parks, Recreation & Tourism are not eligible to enter.
No. All photographs must have been taken in Newport News, Virginia.
The contest begins June 1,
2021,and ends October 31, 2021.
Photographs can be uploaded to our website using the Photo Contest Entry Form, or submitted on a CD/DVD by mail
to:Newport News Tourism, 702 Town Center Drive, Newport News, VA 23606. Photographs can be either digital or film,but must be submitted as a digital image.
All photographs, digital or film, must be a minimum of 5"x7". All digital photographs must be at least 300dpi and either TIFF or JPEG files.
You may submit up to five (5) photographs. An electronic or paper entry form is required for each photograph. Photos previously submitted to the a prior Zoom In on Newport News Photo Contest are not eligible for this year's competition.
Minor enhancements are acceptable. Borders, frames, special filters, text and signatures are not allowed.
Photographers will retain the copyright to their photographs, but by entering them in this contest, they permit unrestricted usage by the City of Newport News and the NNT exclusively to promote the city, without receiving any fee or compensation. This applies to winning and non-winning entries.
Yes! If your photograph contains identifiable people, you must fill out the model contact information on the entry form.
No, unfortunately we cannot return photographs.
A panel of judges will select winners based on overall composition and technical skill.
A $500 cash grand prize will be awarded to the grand prize winner. An honorable mention prize will also be awarded and will include free admission to all Newport News attractions for up to four people.
The winners will be contacted individually the week of November 22nd, and their winning photographs will be displayed on the NNT website at www.newport-news.org.
No problem! Click here for our suggestions page, filled with ideas that will help you to get started.