Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center
The Downing-Gross Cultural Arts Center houses the Ella Fitzgerald Theater, a 276-seat venue that honors the "First Lady of Song," who was born in Newport News in 1917. Originally built as the Walter Reed School, this historic building has been restored, and it reopened to the public in October 2008.
Hours of Operation
Open 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Mon-Fri; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sat; closed Sun.
- Associations / Options
- African American Heritage
- Handicapped Accessible
- Meeting Facilities
- Meeting Room Count: 5
- Meeting Facility Sq. Feet: 3,040
- Banquet Round Style Seating: 144-180
- Classroom Style Seating: 60
- Standing Theater Style: 250
- The Newsome House Museum 30th Anniversary Celebration: Oct 23; 6 p.m.
- Reader's Theater Series: The Colored Museum: Nov 8; 7 p.m.
- MTI's All Together Now!: Nov 12
- MTI's All Together Now!: Nov 13
- MTI's All Together Now!: Nov 15
- Holiday Frost: Dec 10; 4 - 8 p.m.