Newport News Blog
Love is in the Air
It's February, the month of "love." Have you given any thought to how you're going to share that love with the person who matters most to you? Whether you're looking for a romantic escape with that special someone, a one-of-a-kind dining experience or something classic like an old-fashioned picnic with your loved one, Newport News is the place to be!
For a great start to a romantic weekend, consider taking advantage of one of these weekend getaways:
- The Comfort Inn Newport News promises to provide the perfect atmosphere for your romantic getaway. The hotel is spoiling its guests with a bottle of sparkling cider, chocolate-covered strawberries, rose petals, and breakfast for two (757-249-0200).
- The "Romantic Getaway Package" at the Comfort Suites Airport includes a deluxe king suite, a complimentary hot breakfast in the morning, a bottle of champagne upon arrival, a fresh bouquet of flowers and a box of assorted chocolates (866-348-7755 or 757-947-1333).
- The "Make Life a Little Sweeter" special at Courtyard by Marriott Newport News Airport wants you to take a vacation from the ho-hum of everyday life and enjoy a special rate for the entire Valentine's Day season (through March 11). Call the hotel for details (757-842-6212 - ask about the "deal of the day").
- The romance package at the Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News includes a 2-room suite - with a fireplace - along with chilled champagne, and a hot breakfast for two (800-426-7866 or 757-249-0001).
- The Newport News Marriott at City Center is offering a special "Escape to Romance Package" that includes chilled champagne, strawberries and truffles with your overnight stay, plus breakfast for two the following morning (866-329-1758 or 757-873-9299).
- The Omni Newport News has created the "Omni Romance Package," which includes deluxe king guestroom accommodations, chocolate-dipped strawberries, and a champagne split (800-843-6664).
- A "Romantic Rendezvous" awaits you at Point Plaza Suites @ City Center, complete with deluxe accommodations, a bottle of champagne or sparkling cider, a hot breakfast buffet, a late check-out, and either chocolate-covered strawberries, a fruit & cheese tray, or a cheese & cracker tray with an array of imported cheeses (757-599-4460, Ext 405 or 800-841-1112).
- Starting Feb. 9, the Residence Inn by Marriott Newport News Airport is offering a "This Is a Suite Deal" special through March 11. Call the hotel for details (757-842-6214 - ask about the "deal of the day").
- And don't forget our bed-and-breakfast, The Boxwood Inn, whose "Getting Away Close to Home" package includes a four-course dinner, a rose-petal-covered bed for your overnight stay, champagne and chocolates, topped off with a gourmet breakfast for two the following morning (757-888-8854).
If your busy schedule doesn't allow for an overnight stay, perhaps an evening of great food and drink is your ticket to romance. For a special treat, choose one of the many fine dining options available in Newport News. Restaurants run the gamut from 99 Main and Circa 1918 in historic Hilton Village to Schlesinger's Chop House and Fin Seafood in charming Port Warwick. We're also proud to be home to Pearl French Bistro and Hayashi Sushi & Grill, both in City Center at Oyster Point. Bailey's Sports Grille, located in Patrick Henry Mall, is throwing a singles party on Valentine's Day, featuring fun games and yummy snacks.
A simple picnic is another popular way to spend time with a loved one, plus it's easier on the budget! Who wouldn't enjoy a tasty meal on a cozy blanket spread out in the middle of beautiful Newport News Park?
And, finally, the Virginia Living Museum is showing "My Laser Valentine" in its planetarium at 6:30 p.m. and again at 8:00 p.m. on the day of love itself, Feb. 14. The program features love songs matched with swirling laser lights! Come with your valentine and listen to great selections from the Beatles, N' Sync, The Doors, Santana, U2, Carrie Underwood, Metallica, Shania Twain, Celine Dion, Sting, and more!
For additional romantic ideas, just call the Newport News Visitor Center at (888) 493-7386 or visit us at www.newport-news.org.